William J. Eberle Commander
Roderick C. Cooper Vice Commander
Lowell J. Neifert Secretary-Treasurer
Jimmie L. Slate Chaplain
Lawrence B. Gentleman Sergeant of Arms
Ricky A. Gruewell Adjutant
The Glen Elder American Legion Post #143 meeting hall is located on the southwest corner of the square. Involved in several
community projects, the Legion's notable highlight of the year is their
annual "WHOLE HOG SAUSAGE, PANCAKE, EGG & PIE FEED." The
event, an all-day affair, is held on the Saturday closest to Ground Hog
Day in February. Proceeds from the feed are used to support community
projects as well as maintenance of the Legion Hall.
Legion members provide the Memorial Day service each year at the
Glenwood Cemetery at Glen Elder as well as at the Athens Cemetery north of
The Legion also provides graveside services for any of our departed military comrades.
Click Photo to Enlarge
Glen Elder Legion Post #143 was
chartered on November 6, 1919 by the following veterans:
G. Allen -- Gilbert G. Annis -- Earl Casey
-- Lyman B.
Dove -- Arny A. Edwards
Benjamin Gaston -- Merton
E. Gentleman -- Harry H. Humes -- Glen E.
G. Libby -- Harold
W. Libby -- Charlie
Jacob M. Presler -- Thomas
Current members of the Glen Elder American Legion
Post #143 include:
Brunnemer, W. J.
Eberle, Charles Newell
& HONOR Our Deceased Members
Beyer, Alfred “Dutch”
Brown, Clarence “Brownie”
Casey, Guy Jr. “Jiggs”
Casey, Martin “Smoke”
Cullum, Willis W.
Dean, Lloyd E.
Detwiler, Allen L. “Ducky”
Helmbrecht, Arlen E. "Arch"
Hillman, John R.
Lee, Edward F.
McKinney, Dorothy (Vint)
McKinney, Vaden F.
McPeak, Lyle E.
Neifert, Keith V.
Odle, Marvin N.
Porter, D.M. "Max"
Porter, Homer "Shorty"
Porter, James M.
Rarick, Vernon "Mike"
Shane, Robert R.
Spooner, Archie "Bud"
Staley, Walter I.
Staley, Willard M. "Bill"
Terry, Robert J.
Winkel, Lawrence, Jr.
Wright, Warren "Bud"
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Glen
Elder American Legion Post 143 was organized in July of 1922. At the regular
meeting of the American Legion, the petition asking for a charter was signed by
the Officers of the Glen Elder Post. The women who became charter members were:
Mrs. Gilbert Ames, Mrs. Ray Breitweiser, Mrs. Earl Casey, Mrs. Amy Edwards, Mrs.
Harry Humes, Mrs. Walter Kief, Miss Lulu Moyer, Mrs. Jake Pressler, Mrs. Frank
Price and Mrs. James
The Auxiliary has stayed active since its inception. They have
assisted the Legion with community projects plus improvement programs of their
own. They have helped with the youth of the community as well as the elderly in
nearby nursing homes. One of the special projects they worked on together
in 1950, was the Statue of Liberty in the City Park that Mrs. Emily Slaven
donated to the city. The Legion and Auxiliary worked together to provide the
funds for the base of the statue.
The Auxiliary membership has changed in numbers many times
over the years. The membership year of 1990-91 saw the biggest increase as the
Beloit Auxiliary dissolved and several of their members transferred their
membership to the Glen Elder unit. As of May 2001, there are sixty-two members
with approximately twenty-five active members.
Click to View Statue Plaque >
Back to Top
Home City Info Businesses
Organizations History Waconda Lake GE State Park Links